Japanese consumers have money - they have a staggering US$14 trillion of savings - and Tokyo has the largest GDP of any city in the world, exceeding even that of New York.
Japan's jewellery retail market is showing steady growth and is forecast to reach 1 trillion yen in 2019. Factors are driving growth include the weaker yen and a relaxation in visa rules that have led to an increase in foreign tourists from China, Thailand and Indonesia - and they are spending a lot on luxury products such as jewellery. The run up to the Tokyo Olympics in 2020 is expected to bring a further surge in both domestic consumer and overseas visitor spending on jewellery.
Overseas buyers to JJF have increased substantially in recent years. They recognise that Japan is a great place to buy jewellery with highly competitive prices and outstanding quality. In particular, buyers from China and ASEAN countries have become frequent visitors to the fair. In 2015, the JJF VIP Buyer Programme hosted more than 800 key domestic and international buyers, with the largest number coming from China.
Organised in cooperation with the Japan Jewellery Association and the nation's jewellery retailer associations, JJF maintains a strict focus on inviting only professional buyers. Department stores, for example, represent an important channel in Japan. High unit-price jewellery such as high-quality diamonds, coloured stones, gold and platinum jewellery, are sold through this channel not only to wealthy people but also to people with moderate income levels.
- Show NameJAPAN JEWELLERY FAIR 2016 (JJF 2016)
- Date1-3 September 2016 10:00-18:00 (*closes at 17:00 on 3 September)
- VenueTokyo Big Sight Exhibition Center, East Halls 4 & 5 (Access Map)
- OrganizersUBM Japan Co Ltd,
Japan Jewellery Association
- SupportersMinistry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO), Chamber of Commerce of Japan, Japan Pearl Promotion Society, Japan Gold Metal Association, Japan Watch Importers Association, All Japan Watch Retailers Association, Japan Jewellery Designers Association, The Japan Direct Marketing Association, The Men's Fashion Unity (MFU)
- In Cooperation withPlatinum Guild International (PGI)
- Parallel EventsJJA Jewellery Design Awards
JJA Jewellery Charity Campaign
Jeweller's Choice "The Woman of the Year" Award